This time, we get to know Jason Justly, a Belgian pop artist, songwriter, and music producer who writes dreamy and autobiographical pop songs.
The track "Secrets" is featured in the New Artist Spotlight Family of Playlists.
Link To New Artist Spotlight Playlists:
1. Tell us a little about where you are from and what you are currently doing.
Hi! I’m Jason Justly, an unsigned & independent singer-songwriter and music producer from Belgium who writes autobiographical, dreamy & feel-good pop songs.
I started my musical journey in 2021.
I‘m currently working on a lot of new songs!
I aim to release 5 songs every year.
2. What inspired you to start making music?
I've actually been obsessed with writing melodies and lyrics ever since I was 6 years old. It's my way of dealing with emotions and all kinds of events in my life.
But my total lack of musical knowledge (no music degree, no instrument skills) always pushed me back and kept me from sharing anything with the world.
I was also aboard the train of adult life without having and taking the time to invest in this lifelong passion…
But then COVID-19 happened.
I finally found the time and energy to start exploring new horizons in an attempt to chase my dream.
In January 2021, I immersed myself in music theory and started taking music production classes. In 6 months, l learned how to do the whole music production process (songwriting, arranging, tracking, editing, mixing & mastering) all by myself from the comfort of my bedroom.
By doing this, I’m finally able to express my melodies and lyrics musically!
Of course, I still make a lot (!) of mistakes but I'm eager to learn and want to grow as an independent DIY artist.
It's a steep mountain to climb but the view only gets better and better!
𝟯. Who are your biggest influences?
My biggest influence is Adam Young. He’s most famous for his music project ‘Owl City’. Next, there is Taylor Swift.
They are both musical geniuses at writing lyrics & melodies!
4. What are your goals in the music industry?
I want to share my musical journey with the world as the carefree boy who lives and wanders in my head: Jason Justly.
As Jason, I want to share dreamy and autobiographical pop songs that make me happy and that can also be of significance to others.
I hope to reach & touch more souls over the next years.
I’d love to learn from others and take the opportunity to collaborate with lots of talented artists out there.
5. Tell us about your creative process when you make new music.
I always create an initial ‘vibe’ based on some random choices I make (music really can be a game). The vibe inspires me to sing gibberish words and to come up with a concept. After that, it’s finalizing the melody & writing the lyrics!
I do everything 100% myself. It’s tough but very rewarding!
6. What is your all-time favorite song?
My all-time favorite song is ‘Meteor Shower’ from Owl City. It’s breathtaking… It always gives me the chills. It always allows me to escape this world for a couple of minutes.
7. What is the best advice you have either given or received in terms of music?
Some golden rules to never forget:
- Learn from others! Don’t think that you can’t improve your skills or have nothing more to learn.
- You are worthy. Your art is unique and special. Be proud!
- It takes hard work & focus. Don’t take anything for granted.
- Chase your passion & dreams. You only live once. Honestly, why wouldn’t you take a leap of faith?
8. Proudest accomplishment?
In 6 months, l learned how to do the whole music production process (songwriting, arranging, tracking, editing, mixing & mastering) all by myself from the comfort of my bedroom.
My proudest accomplishment is really the fact that I’m able to do everything 100% myself.
I still make a lot of mistakes but that’s ok.
I’m chasing my dream and it feels great!
9. Just for fun! What's been your most embarrassing moment so far?
I’m really not the best singer out there but I need to sing in order to bring my message!
I was recording some vocals in my bedroom one day and my neighbor came knocking on the door “What’s all that noise you’re making!!??”
𝟭0. Tell us about your lowest and highest points in music so far.
My lowest points in music:
- The music business is a very tough world. You have to deal with people not liking or not caring about your music. There are millions of artists out there. So it’s not easy to be heard or seen.
- Doing everything yourself can be very tough & exhausting sometimes!
My highest points in music:
- Releasing 11 songs in 18 months
- Reaching at least 1000 Spotify streams for every song (without paying a penny for it!)
- Collabs with my best friend and some awesome future collaborations (with someone from the UK & from Japan!)
Stream "Secrets" now
and follow their socials
Please share this post and let us know your thoughts in the comments below!